Now that frightfulness of Halloween is out of the way, many people’s attention swiftly turn to Christmas and task of buying gifts for friends, family and loved ones. Whether you’re part of the Irish Diaspora abroad or looking to get a little piece of home for a relative or family member overseas, then we’ve compiled a list of some of the more affordable Christmas gifts from Ireland.Here are a few inexpensive Irish gift ideas that might make the perfect Christmas gift this year:
- For something truly Irish then visit one of the many popular online Irish gift stores and choose from a Jameson whiskey set to a beautiful Aran sweater or a piece of authentic Celtic jewelry that is sure to embellish one’s sense of the Emerald Isle.
- An airline ticket to Ireland from the national carrier Aer Lingus. Fares can be quite inexpensive in comparison to normal during the early months of the New Year so why not take advantage. It would also be a wonderful opportunity for someone who has never been to the “old sod” but has always planned to do so.
- A trip to Ireland’s most popular tourist attraction, the Guinness Storehouse, could be just the treat for those who’ve never experienced a trip to Ireland. Guinness is a staple of the Irish diet and it doesn’t taste much better then at its source!
- An Irish Christmas tree ornament to ensure your tree has a truly Irish feel. Deck the tree with something from the Emerald Isle and bring some of that uniquely Irish flavor home.
- For a glimpse at a time gone by then James Joyce’s incredible short story about Christmas in Dublin and a husband struggling with his mortality entitled “The Dead” on DVD. This John Huston directed film is a wonderful and evocative screenplay based in Ireland from a bygone age.
- For some authentic Irish breakfast ingredients then there’s nothing more tasty then some Clonakilty Black & white pudding, bacon and sausages. All of which will combine to create a hearty Irish breakfast over the festive and New Year period. You can order online at clonakiltyblackpudding.ie.
- For something truly festive then Bing Crosby’s album “Merry Christmas” could be just the thing. The Irish American singer and actor was renowned for his trademark warm bass-baritone voice and will certainly get you in that Christmas spirit like no other performer. The album includes his popular festive hit “Christmas in Killarney” which is a firm Irish favorite.
- If you’re looking to indulge then perhaps a beautifully gift wrapped box of Lily O’Brien’s Irish chocolates. If you have never tasted the real thing form Ireland then no better time to try then over the festive period. Available from lilyobriens.ie.
- A Claddagh ring for a loved one or a close family member. This piece of Celtic jewelry can be an especially heart felt gift that says “I love you”. Claddagh rings are available from most reputable jewelers on the high street or online.